Last night at our club racing ( all 30 odd boats off the same start ) I got myself into what I thought was the perfect start position, at a perfect half speed ( any slower and the Lasers get in the slot, any faster and you will hit the line early, sails almost in perfectly to hit the line as the boat next to the committee boat, ready to sheet in and be underway on the start gun.

Well about 5 metres from the start a Mustoo came in between myself and the next boat at full speed, hollering and shouting that I must luff up as he was on due course. Well he was burning off speed to tighten his course as both the Mustoo and I are similar upwind. Now not having the speed to burn I cannot luff up at all because I'll end up in irons ( as I did, as I value my paintwork ).

Now what rules apply as technically I am holding course, cannot go any higher, and he because of the extra speed can turn higher without serious loss of maneuverability. Who has right of way ? One extra thing he came from behind my beam.