Originally Posted by Mark Schneider

You F18 guys are on deck for next year... support it in some way or it will go away.

Just to make one thing clear before I get started, my comments below in NO WAY represent the opinions of the the F18 fleet they are mine and mine alone.

The current format is a non starter! It's simply being done to be done, it's the old ultimatum, we do it this way or we don't do it. In my opinion then DON'T DO IT! The Alter Cup is/was as much about the format as it was about the championship a sentiment I believe not not shared by the current leadership! There is no reason why the Alter Cup couldn't be done every 4 years or whatever it takes for the HJ fund to build up enough $$ to support the provided boat format! Instead of dumping the qualifiers keep having them, yes a one start one course everybody races against the clock format (oh I feel so unclean). Persuade the participating hosts to kick in a few $$ to the HJ fund to help move things towards the goal, then when the magic number is hit pull the trigger make the announcement and have a proper championship! Yes, I know USSailing won't get their $50 a head every year from the Alter Cup but it's not like they are going to miss the $$ from a sub ten boat championship anyway.

Oh and the sponsorship $$ that would have been spent on the championship, that gets put into the quailifiers, yeah USSailing doesn't get to pocket that! Yep! Still bitter!

David Ingram
F18 USA 242
http://www.solarwind.solar

"Do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda
"Excuses are the tools of the weak and incompetent" - Two sista's I overheard in the hall
"You don't have to be a brain surgeon to be a complete idiot, but it helps"