I realize that there will be some that say "leave the poor thing alone" but i think that the differences in design between the 5.8 and more modern designs are primarily in the rig, and while the hulls certainly do have some differing profiles, i am not convinced they are so great (especially when planing) that they would inhibit the ability to see some major performance gains with the installation of a modernized rig. If anything, the more robust hulls give me a great margin of error; i won't need to worry about over canvassing the platform.

As for the stick. I wonder if structural concerns may be valid, especially in a blow, since we're talking about doubling the sail are adjacent to the part of the mast which the current diamonds do not extend to. I have in my possession a masthead (as in top to bottom) diamond-stay kit for a 30 foot mast. (leftovers from an e-scow rig i bought) It would fit the 5.8 mast perfectly. Spreaders are adjustable, both in length and angle. Throw them on? necessary? not necessary?

Finally, since we're on the topic, and while i have your attention, what about adding a "blade" jib in the mix too. Namely, one that is self-tacking, and non overlapping. Will this cause "balance" problems? I've heard i can actually obtain roughly the same sq. ft. of area by extending the leech, which would be in keeping with the high-aspect theme of these potential rig changes. thoughts?