Originally Posted by ileestma

Finally, since we're on the topic, and while i have your attention, what about adding a "blade" jib in the mix too. Namely, one that is self-tacking, and non overlapping. Will this cause "balance" problems? I've heard i can actually obtain roughly the same sq. ft. of area by extending the leech, which would be in keeping with the high-aspect theme of these potential rig changes. thoughts?

My thoughts on the jib are that all the bighead sails have a relatively small jib that just shapes the wind into the slot so you really just need to match your sail shape with your jib shape, the Taipan 5.7's went to self tackers by dropping the tack to the top of the spin pole using a stainless steel rod to give them a longer jib with roughly the same area, I'm not sure about lifting your hounds or putting your jib higher than the hounds. The F18 mast is only 20cm shorter than the 5.8 so you could try some F18 sails as a starting point and see how they feel and see if the mast holds the leach up.
Couple of other things to consider, the 5.8 mast is designed to loosten your diamonds as the wind gets higher allowing the mast to depower the rig by bending into the slot in gusts.
On a reach the 5.8 is the most fantastic boat I've been on, I've got video of me on a reach jumping over and through waves in over 20 knots on the 5.8 and it's totally controlled, I've never pitchpoled it on a reach but on downwind course's I've gone in big time. I run a F18 spin on my 5.8

Jeff Southall
Current boats
Nacra 5.8 1703 Animal Scanning Services
Nacra 5.8 1667 Ram Raider
Nacra 18 Square
Arrow 1576