John Farris

you have no idea just how lucky you are to have Mr Rice on your side, as I'm sure the Pensacola folks will tell you.

Suggestions for better attendance:
--FWYC needs to promote RTI. There has been virtually no announcement in advance (month/s ahead) and no horn-tootin'. There are two other websites than this one in which it would be prudent to announce: thebeachcats dot com and Sailing Anarchy's multihull forum. Once you've made a thread, bounce it from time to time to keep it on the first pages viewed

--Most of your attendance is from out of town and you should plan accordingly. Food and drink specials don't hurt. Getting discounts at hotel rooms is helpful. Make sure that FWYC can possibly provide storage for boats ahead of time, especially if you want to piggyback off an earlier regatta, you need to have somewhere for people to leave their boats.

--Don't do this the weekend after Juana's, it will be difficult for travelers, who will be most of your attendance. Give it at least two weeks. The traditional date for RTI is indeed late September.

--There are fewer people involved in multihulls these days, and even fewer who want to spend a long day of it, so your planning should go accordingly, albeit 9 boats or whatever is indeed low even for the present state of the sport.

Logistics, logistics, logistics.

I can remember attendance in the hundreds, back when my wife crewed on a Hobie 18 for this race. But also there was a cheap hotel right at the start line, that had a funky cool bar, and the National Park beach in the same place. And there were hundreds at most regattas -our sport isn't what it used to be.

Last edited by jaybird1111; 07/19/13 07:05 AM.