Here is my 2 cents.

FWYC did not ruin the RTI race. They picked up a race that is very difficult to run and like most things, get no thanks in return. If the group that used to run it in Sept. where having so much success, they would still be doing it.

The race was moved because of complaints about September. Now that the new date doesn't work, no one remembers what happened back then, only that it was a great race etc. and no one ever had a problem.

That said I am not a local. I did the race way back when, run on the beach in Sept. etc. and I have also done the race several times run by FWYC. I was also one of the very few boats to do it this past year.

The problem with this race (if there is one) is that it is a long distance race. Those are very tricky to be viewed as successful and the success or failure is a simple result of the weather. Good weather, great race. Bad weather, bad race. Period.

I do not spend lots of money and time going to a race because of the food, the race committee, or any of the reasons typically pointed to as the reason a race is good or bad. That "stuff" helps, but it is not the defining element.

Long distance races are difficult period. That eliminates 75 to 80 percent of today's sailors.

So my advise to FWYC. Pick a date NOW. Spend the time leading up to it promoting the race. If I was to point at the biggest reason for decline of this race it has been due to lack of promotion.

Racers go to races to race other sailors they want to race against. You have Mike Kelly, Randy Smythe, Brian Lambert and a host of other great racers to sail against. Get the word out that you can come and race these guys and folks will show up for a great race. Promote who will be there early and often. If you get some good early commitments and let everyone know, it will be a great time.

Cheers and good luck.

Last edited by Kaos; 08/05/13 11:10 AM.