Adjustable traps seem to be too much to screw with to me. I just use the standard dog bone. If I want to trap low, I use the low hole. I want to be higher, I use the high hole.

Plus, the more parts you introduce to a system, doesn't matter what it is, the more parts there is to fail. You could probably do away with the block too. Just use a sailmaker's thimble there. Other parts of that part of the trapeze will probably wear out before the wear from the thimble becomes an issue.

This is all I use, clean and simple:
[Linked Image]

I don't shackle the block on any longer, I just use a Harken 504 (I think that's the number) and put it through the thimble when I make my trap lines.

I used to always make them from the top down. I'd make the splice that attaches to the mast first, then set my handles and do the eye at the bottom. Where the handle meets the thimble it creates a wear spot and I think the solution to that is to just tie a stopper knot, (probably just an overhand knot would be sufficient), in the dyneema for the handle to stop against and have the thimble with the block an inch or two below that knot. Should be wicked durable that way.

Last edited by Karl_Brogger; 08/14/13 08:38 AM.

I'm boatless.