Originally Posted by P.M.
Karl,
Why not just get rid of the small microblock (H224) below the handle and just run the line through the thimble. I do this and it works flawlessly. Clean and simple.

This is what I do too an its where I'm adding Antel thimbles on the new set to cut down a little on friction compared to the normal rigging thimbles.

Originally Posted by P.M.

What is everybody else doing up top to prevent chafe, or are you just leaving it bare?

On my current wires I have 6 inches or so of lacing at the top which gaves me the ability to adjust the length (To allow for creep in the inital setup) and also provide this chafe guard. What a lot of people do is just thread the lines through 6 inches of normal sheaving that has been stripped from easewhere on the boat, other use some rubber hose.

With regards to minimising creep, leaving the line you have purchased in one long length do a splice at each end that will become the top end of the lines. but before you do so put an old block in the middle of line. Now tie the two spliced ends to a tree or post and connect your mainsheet block to the block you have floating in the middle and pull the whole thing towards another tree or post. Go back every half hour and make it a bit tighter. Once you're happy it is not getting any longer or the tree falls down cut it in the middle and splice on the other end. Assume you'll get another inch of creep in the final splice.