I don't know either. The guy that got me started in sailing a little over three years ago is a devout monohuller and speed freak. He first had an SRMax (Henderson 21 sport mono hull) but that wasn't fast enough. He then bought a viper 21 (an even faster 21 footer) and was talking about getting a skiff because that one wasn't fast enough either. Somehow he was mumbling justification about the new faster boat being more of a 'family boat' (he has two very young boys). I finally understood when his wife interceded and he now owns a Mako power boat.

During this time I have never been able to get him out on any of my catamarans. Occasionally we'll meet at the lake - he on his monoslug and me on my cat. I would proceed to literally sail circles around him while he's yelling "STOP IT!" and he even rigged up a makeshift trapeze from one of his halyards! I finally told him that I didn't want to hear him complain about not being fast enough until A) he got on my boat or B) he bought a catamaran. I don't think I'll ever understand.

Jake Kohl