I have raced I14's and a year ago got to crew on an 18 while in New Zeland during a practice race. I think the 18's are pretty exciting once the chute is launched. The down wind speed is faster than an Inter 20.

I have always found it funny how cats get a bad rap. Talk about instability, look no further than 14 and 18 foot skiffs. They are fun but very tough to control. But yet cats are always called "tippy"... makes me laugh.

As long as catamarans continue to evolve, they will be a better small boat. The one thing that dissapoints me about cats is their inability to handle choppy water. I know some of this is being addressed, but sailors also want bouancy. Right now it is a battle between smaller volume hulls that handle waves better or larger volume hulls that handle people better.

I can't beach a skiff, so I will never own one. I just hope cats continue to evolve. They are very flexible boats and currently do have many advantages over other boats. The ability to be flexible is really the big selling point.