Newer boats will be faster due to lighter weight (both from construction techniques and water absorbtion) and stiffness. If your boat is in good shape, you need only answer the question of what type of racing you want to be involved in. Are you just starting out? Are you seasoned and want to mount a nationals campaign? If the boat is in solid shape and you're just starting, I'd recommend fixing it up to a certain degree and go racing. For the first year or so you'll gain more from learning proper boat handling and tactics than from the difference in hull weight. This, of course, is only true if the boat is in good enough shape that you are not constantly fighting failures and such (frustrating). For me, I'd even forego the painting - just compound and polish the hulls - it may not be as pretty, but you will not have the added weight of the paint and the smoother surface is what you're after anyway. I'd get new sails, but again in the beginning you might gain more from proper technique. I might be suggesting that just because I like my new main so much, even though my old one was still serviceable...
<br>
<br>So, I'd do the tricks to tighten up the boat, fix things that are broken, pass on the painting, get new rags, and enjoy. When you've figured things out then decide on the new(er) boat.<br><br>Keith Chapman, Annapolis, Md.
<br>H-18
<br>Northstar 500 (monoslug)
<br>WRCRA - www.wrcra.org

Attached Files
2719- (36 downloads)