I hope they keep it fast, on foils, but hey, you never know what Larry's got up his sleeve!

Here's the Hobie Trifoiler:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXSgZCDVWOM

I was at the Wildcat Regatta, Lake Eustis, FL many years ago when there were several Trifoilers (last time I saw one) but the wind was very light and there were lots of weeds in the lake, needless to say, they were not foiling, they were incredibly slow.

I think one of the things that made this such a great AC was the LOCATION, Larry picked a great spot, with WIND!! Guaranteed Wind, on just about every day, but you saw in that one light air race, just how slow a foiler is when it's too light to foil!

Kenny and Gary mentioned going back to Newport, but as I recall watching the AC's in Newport, they were mostly light air affairs. Same with San Diego. If you want to go fast, you need WIND! EVERY DAY! The only place (in the USA) that has that kind of wind, almost every day, is San Francisco Bay.

As Ian Murray said when that race ran to the 40 minute limit, "All that stuff underneath that makes them so fast in heavy wind, just adds drag in light air."

Blade F16