Originally Posted by Jake
hmmmmm...so if the crew didn't move their weight forward to try and release the spinnaker, that big 'ol heavy boat wouldn't have pitchpolled? I had to giggle at that... Yep. Crew's fault.

Jay, don't ever let your kids go forward...that boat might pitchpoll. grin

duly noted! that pic shows the boat on a really weird position. were they trying to right it at the time? or is the mast stck on the bottom

I don't even know how I'd release the spin "up forward". the halyard clutch is on the mast, the tack line clutch is on the cabintop near the ****, and the sheet runs to the aft winch. maybe the dude was stuffing the spin on the front beam?

and how much wind were they experiencing at that mark?

I'd been trying to figure out a way to run a dousing line / snuffer type takedown system to avoid that manual spin stuffing ritual... if for no other reason than to collapse the spin quickly to depower it in just those situations (panic takedown in breeze)

all this while cruising past Cape Romano (the houses are almost under water now) Monday. yeah, life's a drag smile

I saw 2 stilettos (maybe 27 ?) right off Caxambas pass with Mariott logos on the sails. Does that hotel rent those? sweet!

Jay