Originally Posted by waterbug_wpb
I wasn't thinking much about the boat design, more your preparation...

Ok...I wasn't really overprepped or underprepped. I had Alan's advice and experience which was helpful. A good sleeping bag , bivy, one man tent (again not used in the trip but was in the campground), good sleeping pad. We spent about $80 on food and probably ate 1/3rd of it. Tuna and Salmon packs (just grab with your hand and stuff your mouth while sailing), power bars, cliff bars...the trail mix offered a good alternative. We packed 5 freeze dried meals and made four of them. You can't underestimate the positive effect a hot meal has on you when the sun first sets. We made a second set of freeze dried meals the second night at about 1am but neither one of us could really eat any of them...we were in too much of a hurry. We probably each consumed 4 or 6 power bars, two tuna packs, two freeze dried meals and 2 to 3 gallons of water. BUT! You have to plan for a trip that could have problems and might take longer...so you need to pack the stuff you know you probably won't need.

A good flashlight is important - I have a combo strobe/flashlight on my life jacket shoulder strap that was handy. A decent headlamp is a bonus (especially with a red LED).

I'm also not wearing sailing gloves next time - my hands were really affected by the constant salt water soaking and are still quite swollen.

A dry suit is a must. Two base layers are needed so you have a dry one to change into if something happens to the other. I also recommend a secondary fleece layer (I carried a thick fleece bunny suit). That fleece bunny suit combined with a base layer Zhik hydrophobic fleece top and bottoms kept me nice and warm through the night (temps got to about 49 degrees and we were constantly getting sprayed). I switched to a base layer of the Zhik Marino Wool under the dry suit for the daytime through Florida Bay and was comfortable then too.

A balaclava is also very nice for the nighttime sailing. I have an Underarmor spandex one that surprised me with how warm it was even when wet. Alan has a neoprene one that looks a good bit warmer. I don't need to replace mine but if I was buying again, I would probably source a neoprene one.

If you wear glasses, make sure you have a non-shaded pair for night sailing. I have some prescription 3M safety glasses that served me well at night but I broke my sunglasses before we pushed off the beach...had to constantly tape them up.

Jake Kohl