Our Midwinter Championship has declined since the days of forty to fifty boats, largely due to the lack of F 18s in the area, and a total lack of marketing. Mark's theory of over saturation has played a large role as well as clumsy race management.

I never made SF, but my son has sailed in it, and we know it was presented in pride by hard working lovers of sailing.

I attended the Buzzelli this past year, and was very discouraged by the race committee. I served on the first day as mark set officer for the F 18s, Roberts 27 & 30, F 16s and Wetas. At times all designs were represented on the offset leg. I was very frustrated by the boat operator, who did not acknowledge my requests to re - set the offset mark as the wind backed, which resulted in the boats having to "pass" the weather mark to lay the offset. When we set the first weather mark and offset, the Race Officer radioed us and asked which side of the weather mark had we placed the offset. He did not know me, but evidently, he knew the boat operator. We were almost hit three times during the day because he was busy on his notepad and drifting down on the starting line. I was glad to get off the boat. There was no wind for Sunday.

Sometimes the big shows ashore can not save a reputation for very long.

Spring Fever managed to balance all the components into a very nice product for years. My guess is, if we wish hard enough for it next year, the good will fairy will return with his magic.

Meanwhile, as we speak, the International Sunfish Midwinters, at Pensacola Yacht Club, is under siege by the sailors. The RComm shortened race six incorrectly and the lead boat "finished" third or fourth. He filed on time yesterday and was awarded points equal to First Place. This morning the other sailors are filling the protest box with similar requests. There are four Italian sailors in the fleet, and one of them is the Class President.

I almost had to serve on the Protest Committee (lack of certified judges), but since I was the Safety Officer the judge - in - chage wished to select a couple judges from out of town to hear the case this afternoon. Racing today was canceled due to a fresh cold front rolling through with a base of nineteen knots and gusts to thirty.

Saturation, poor management, and poor marketing are general causes. In the case of a top shelf event, average - age may becoming a factor. Coaching prior to a quality event is the newest fad that attracts sailors.

Last edited by catandahalf; 03/25/14 02:54 PM.