Calling all fellow engineers (and wannabees)... This almost sounds too easy and obvious, so please tell me why it won't work...

Standard Cat Trax (without cradles) are horrible, if not impossible, to use singlehandedly, because they just roll back out from under the boat before you can get around to the outside to tie them off.

When I bought my first pair, after borrowing a bunch of standard sets, I got cradles. I was the only Hobie 16 sailor with cradles, anywhere in the northeast, and constantly was mocked for wasting my money. That was until I showed people how you can kick them under the boat, and they stay put while you go to the sides of the boat to tie them off.

Flash forward, I have a Wave, and standard Cat Trax (adjusted for width). I'm back to square one, but don't want to spend the money on cradles if there's a cheaper way. After hearing a great suggestion for using wood and carpet, here's what I'm thinking:

Take a 4x4 (or 6x6 if necessary), and bore out a 2-inch hole lengthwise. Remove the caps, slip that over the ends of the Cat Trax, bolt in place (recessed holes for bolt heads and nuts), wrap in marine carpet, reinstall caps, and you're done.

Since this is using square stock, there will be no cradles to constantly be upside down (without adding counterweight), because there wouldn't really be an "upside down."

What am I missing? This seems way too simple (and should work for any boat)...

Mike