Originally Posted by jollyrodgers
Otherwise it could be the sterns that you would want to stand on to sink in to get the tramp exposed to the wind, lifting the bows, then rolling over on it's side. The front part of the boat is more buoyant on a lot of the cats so it may be easier to stand on a stern. Steady pressure on a righting line helps quite a bit no matter which way you are trying to pull the boat up.

+1,

I've learned in the years at least a dozen catsailor friends this procedure at sea. A little remark, pick always the off-wind hull to stand on. The sooner the wind will catch the windward hull and help you turning the whole thing on its side.
At sea this often places you also on the " down-wave" side. Then with a lot of luck the next big wave can even push the cat in one second completely up to horizontal!

With modern cats this whole procedure should be easier than in the old days. Standing on the upside sharp hull of a Prindle or a H14/16 is far from easy and you ended up trying to balance on the small flange-rims on the side of the hull. I've seen guys with totally grazed underlegs when they slipped off this rim.

P.S. When practising this, pick deep enough water!!!

Go as far astern as possible, if you are with two, clinch together.

Last edited by northsea junkie; 09/07/14 05:27 AM.

ronald
RAIDER-15 (homebuilt)

hey boy, what did you do over there, alone far out at sea?..
"huh....., that's the only place where I'm happy, sir.