Originally Posted by brucat
I'm not sold that mark room entitles you to sail off the course. ... I don't think they can continue on past the mark room space, and expect to be able to keep the leeward boat from tacking. At some point, mark room ends, and the leeward boat can head the windward to up beyond head to wind

Let's back up a bit. The definitions do not impose obligations on a boat - the numbered rules do that. The definitions are simply explanations of what the terms used specifically mean. A boat cannot break the rule "mark-room", and the definition itself does not impose restrictions on a boat's actions.

Rule 18 imposes the obligation on one boat to give another boat mark-room. Rule 18.4 also restricts an inside overlapped right-of-way from sailing beyond her proper course before gybing. There is no corollary rule about tacking.

"Mark-room" does not entitle a boat to sail off the course, but it does not prohibit a boat from doing so either. It is not "mark-room" that prevents a boat to leeward (or ahead) from tacking, it is rule 13. Once that boat passes head-to-wind, she must keep clear of the other boat. If she can't keep clear, then she can't tack. She may turn head-to-wind, but not beyond.

No rule restricts a boat from sailing beyond her proper course before tacking, whether at or away from a mark. A boat in a controlling position may drive another boat beyond the mark, out of the zone, and all the way to the edge of the racecourse to gain a tactical advantage.

I hope that helps,
Eric