The trap hooks can get caught on just about anything. 35 years ago I was out on my 505 with my girlfriend, hauling butt just outside Portsmouth harbor (NH) with her out on the wire. Got a good gust, then a sudden lull...She teabags to windward, boat goes over on top of her while I'm scrambling up to the high side.

I look down and see she's trapped under water, face pressed up under the mainsail, which is also in the water. I dive down and under the boom to get her out, her trap hook is on the low shroud! Took me a couple seconds to figure it out and get her out, and she was quite shaken up, spitting up water, etc. but to her credit, she did get back out on the wire for the trip home (only because I told her if she didn't, we'd never get in!).

Long story short, ended up selling the 505 and buying a Flying Scot!

Nuff said?

No, I didn't marry her (I should have, longer story), but she did keep sailing with me on the Scot and later the J24, but she NEVER got near that 505 again!

Prior to that incident, it had never occurred to me that the trap hook could kill you. I still sail with one, but when things start to go sideways, I usually reach down to unhook, asap, and cover it...it's right on the way to grabbing my balls! ;^0

Oh, Leo Kottke sings a great song about her, and yes, her name is Pamela: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWS2TkPU-T0

Blade F16