CHEAT
: to break a rule or law usually to gain an advantage at something

: to take something from (someone) by lying or breaking a rule

: to prevent (someone) from having something that he or she deserves or was expecting to get

to break a rule or law... hmm... I never think of myself as a cheater when I break the law and speed, double park, spit on the sidewalk. I simply don't obey the law and take my chances with the penalty.

So... there must be some other element in the notion of cheating...

from Wikopedia

Equipment cheating can also occur via the use of external aids in situations where equipment is prohibited - such as in American football via the use of stickum on the hands of receivers, making the ball easier to catch. An example of this is Hall of Famer Jerry Rice, who admitted to regularly & illegally using "stickum" throughout his career, calling into question the integrity of his receiving records.[10][11][12]

I don't think of Jerry Rice as cheating either. I see the sport of football as having no moral high ground. There is NO CODE OF HONOR in place in football. What they have are rules... if you break a rule and get away with it.... Gamesmanship.... If you break a rule and get caught... Penalty. You choose to Obey the rule or not.

The NFL suspends your butt when you are caught for DUI... You broke one of the rules negotiated between players and owners. They don't say you cheated... The NFL owners and players have a PR problem with personal screw-ups... so they solve it with a rule.. They penalize the player or owner. (Irsay of the Colts)

Brady got caught.. He more then likely broke a rule... He then refused to cooperate with the organization he is apart of and so he incontrovertibly broke another rule. He pays the penalty. I can't call him a cheater... He just got caught at gamesmanship. 4 games for him seems about right....

The team penalty is weak!!! They lead the league in fewest fumbles for years...with few notable running backs in the list... a soft football is much easier to hold on to... The TEAM should be blasted for 4 or more years with significant penalties!

crac.sailregattas.com