Well.... what do you know... the emperor's birthday suit is looking a bit shabby to the sailors in the game.

Facebook threads by Howden illustrate the issues I raised two years ago..... but all that he offers is... well... sailors will adapt.

It has gotten so bad... that they are forming an ALTERNATIVE class association to address the issues.

Now the rank and file finally speak up... including Sarah N. who is arguing for wind limits.

Andrew McPherson notes the following.

Andrew Macpherson The T foil rudders would certainly help, but the main foil design is fundamentally flawed and the only proper solution is to change the main foil to a heave stable solution that will allow the boat to be raced in a wider range of conditions. This is something for the next Olympiad. The main focus now should be to align the build quality and warranty with the allowable conditions for racing. The current situation of crossing your fingers every time you go race in more than 20kts is the stupidest thing I've seen in Olympic sailing. Ever.

If the builder would back the equipment they sell (at crazy high prices) it would be ok. But the fight every time there is a warranty claim is tiresome, if there were multiple builders as we see in the Laser, 470, 49er you could decide not to give your money to a sub standard builder.... But this monopoly situation does nothing to encourage the builder to do better, on the contrary.... It's to their benefit to build stuff that breaks!

The crime is that even hackers like myself could see the problems years ago and the apologists poo poo d the obvious issues postponing the pressure on ISAF and NACRA

The MHC met with the US rep on the technical committee in Annapolis about the selection process... We asked about and we were assured that ISAF would regulate the monopoly they were giving to NACRA... FAIL

It is NOT like they haven't done this before... the 49ner was selected in part BECAUSE of the multiple builders providing quality control and price competition. Bethwaite FIXED the 49ner in the first quad so that they had a reasonable race boat... They improved the boat further in subsequent quads. Again. ISAF played a role.

So... at the very least... Can we finally stop the BS... that the top sailors can manage the boat... everything is perfect!

Last edited by Mark Schneider; 07/14/15 09:31 PM.

crac.sailregattas.com