So, here’s the suggestion from Randy Smyth: Rename the event the 50/50 ‘round the Island Race.
1. Keep it 100 miles but break it into two days of 50 miles each.
2. Start in Fort Walton with a Bermuda start: Slowest boats at 7 am and various starts during the morning based on their handicap. So, the first boat at the finish is the first boat overall etc. No handicaps are figured after the finish.
3. In good weather on Saturday we race from Fort Walton out Destin pass in the Gulf to Pensacola Pass to Chicken Bone Beach in Pensacola (after Fort Pickens but before the first condo in Gulf Breeze). In bad weather on Saturday we race from Fort Walton inside the Intercostal to Chicken Bone Beach.
4. We host a BBQ on the beach ‘tail gate style’ Saturday at sunset.
5. Sunday we normally race home in the intercostal from Chicken Bone Beach to Fort Walton. However, if we went inside Saturday we would sail back to Fort Walton Sunday via the Gulf if the weather cooperate.
Fort Walton Yacht Club wants to host the Round the Island Race the last weekend in September 2016. Our greatest worry is the safety of all racing in the event first and foremost. I am personally asking for help from the community to join us in planning this event. I can be contacted by cell phone 850-305-9653 or email Patssun@yahoo.com
Thanks in advance for your help!
John D. Farris
2015 Fleet Captain
Fort Walton Yacht Club
Doing whatever it takes to get more people sailing
and more boats on starting lines in Choctawhatchee Bay!