Originally Posted by MN3
what is the reason for this rule? competitive advantage to the weight saving?

The "reason" for the rule is that the Hobie 16 is raced the way it comes from the factory (with wire trapezes). It's the SMOD concept.

Originally Posted by brucat
Is "called out" equal to protested and DNE'd? Was it a weekend regatta or NAs?

It was a weekend regatta. He was not protested, because technically it was legal at the time - but it potentially violated the "Loophole Rule" (IHCA General Class Rule 4).

The long story:
Before 2014, the Hobie 16 class rule on Trapezes was:
9. TRAPEZES
A maximum of two trapeze wires are allowed on each side of the boat. Supplied wires may be shortened, lengthened and have adjustable systems installed.

Geoff took a very literal interpretation of this and "shortened" the "supplied wire" to 6 inches - and then added an 18+ foot long synthetic "adjustable system" to it. He showed the system to me before racing and I told him I didn't think it was class legal, but that I would inquire to the IHCA Rules Committee to be sure. I was racing a 17 at that event, so I didn't protest him and neither did any other competitors.

However, once the IHCA Rules Committee heard about it, they changed the rule to:
9. TRAPEZES
A maximum of two trapeze wires are allowed on each side of the boat. Trapeze wires shall be of stainless steel wire of not less than 2.38 mm diameter. The minimum length of the trapeze wire, including shackles, shall be from the bearing point on the mast tang to a point 1250 mm above the base of the mast extrusion. Adjustable systems may be attached to the trapeze wire shackled to the mast tang.

This was not the only reason Geoff left the class, but it was one of the major reasons. He wasn't as nearly laid back as most of the Hobie sailors (who he often lost to the race course).