Originally Posted by jsb4g
The only issue with it is the current owner epoxied the bottom of the hulls. He claims one of the hulls had a hole in it from beach rash and that he added epoxy to the keel of both hulls to "beef" them up. My questions are as follows.

I can rig a Hobie 16 in 20 minutes or so. For the prindle, it is a bit more because the boom is not already connected to the main. Is there any noticeable difference in rigging time with the G-Cat 5?

Well beach rash on itself is a quite normal phenomenon, especially on a beach with stones and shelves.
When nothing is done against it, it will finally lead to holes in the bottom of the hulls.

So, when there was one small hole you definitly have to look further for total wear and tear of the glass layer under the hulls.

A simple hole could have been fixed by filling it with epoxy compound.
But if you can see the glass structure of the laminate over a considerable lenght, then there has to be done more repair.
(All assuming that the owner didn't paint it all over)

For that matter, bringing on a new wear and tear layer (without need for glassing) is a simple DIY job with thickend epoxy between two tapelines.
If it needs reinforcement of the laminates glassing though, you have to have some experience with laminating.

And about rigging times: I think you worry too much about minutes difference.

Last edited by northsea junkie; 10/14/16 03:31 AM.

ronald
RAIDER-15 (homebuilt)

hey boy, what did you do over there, alone far out at sea?..
"huh....., that's the only place where I'm happy, sir.