Originally Posted by Timbo
That was a crazy Super Bowl, the Pats played both their worst game in the first half, and their best game in the second half, with 31 unanswered points. They never even held the lead.... until that final play.

I was going nuts when they were down 28-3, I nearly turned it off and went to bed. But why were the Falcons throwing the ball when all they had to do was run it twice and kick a field goal, to put the game out of reach?

I think the Falcon's coaching gave that game away with those types of bad play calling vs the Pats taking the game away. The Pats were able to stop the run in the second half, maybe that's why the Falcons were throwing, but all the Falcons had to do was work the clock, they seemed to forget how to do that.

I've been a Falcons fan since I can remember. Our defense is young and hasn't demonstrated the ability to make the difference in a tight game - so they try not to keep the game tight with the offensive play calling. They've maintained that aggressive play calling through the last half of the season and it's served them well up until that point - but, yes, that really wasn't the time to do it when you were in field goal range with a shot at icing the game. Our offense has also been so efficient that it hasn't given our defense a breather. I've always thought time of possession was a pretty meaningless stat until this year where being so fast to score means your defense doesn't get much of a break.

Jake Kohl