They submit the order and take the money only if and when the campaign is fully funded. So far my credit card has not been charged. As far as the exchange rate goes, that will always apply and this offer provides a savings simply due to a lower cost which is the reward for helping them get it to market.

I used to have a buoyancy harness a long time ago (early 80s maybe - Hobie heydays - and pretty sure it was CG approved) and I always wanted another one when it wore out but by then they were out of production and I never found another one until this. It was very convenient and based on the provided info it looks like they have put a lot of effort into developing a very nice harness that also helps keep you afloat. I rarely race trapeze beach cats anymore and even then most organizers do not look at the life jacket other than to see if it is on if required. Mostly I use my Blade F-16 as my "cruising boat" and often sail alone so this will be just right for my purposes. Sailing the Flying Phantom 18 requires a buoyancy / protective vest (also not CG approved) so I know that is enough flotation for me.

I understand if the amount of flotation is a deal breaker for you but I posted this only so that people know about the offer, not so that they have to defend their decision not to take it, too. If it helps someone else and if it helps get these to the market then all is good. Also, if someone else made one that was CG approved then I might prefer it but that is not an option. As Jake pointed out, it almost seems as if the CG does all they can to discourage life jacket approval by making the process onerous and expensive (I am pretty sure there was a 60 minutes segment on this years ago and still no change). My old harness is getting pretty worn anyway and by donning this new harness I will be getting a better, more comfortable one and automatically be adding flotation. Everyone has a different situation and you should do what works best for you. At least now you know about another option. Sail on!