It's always cruel to watch the damage caused by nature disasters and its effect on victims.

It did remind me on the big overflooding of the Southwest part of Holland in 1953 by a very severe Northwesterly storm.
1840 people were drowned.

But since that disaster the government started the very expensive Deltaproject in order to prevent such in the future.
That project took years to be finished, but was infact a prolongation of the government policy with regard to the fact that a great part of the western half of Holland is below sealevel.

Its very important to recognize that it all makes part of our arisal history as a delta region of the east european rivers.
My ancestors created since centuries ago therefore a separate law-giving and enforcement Institution besides the normal parlementary and governmental power and the democratic control by small states and towns. It's a sort of third power.
We pay also a separate tax for that institution!

I'm writing this comment because I happen to live on top of a very ancient (so-called) sleeper dike half a mile from the Northsea. This dike was supposed to hold the water if the sea-facing main dike should break in a storm. Normally there were no houses allowed on such a dike, but by special circumstances (which is again another story) my house was founded there in 1852.
So I still am the only man (and woman) in my wide surrounding living 7 m. above sealevel.

Should the sea start flooding, I have no fear for the water but for the overwhelming crowd who is flying to my house on the only safe ground!

ronald
RAIDER-15 (homebuilt)

hey boy, what did you do over there, alone far out at sea?..
"huh....., that's the only place where I'm happy, sir.