I want to challenge you guys to make this coming year one that brings back the old cat sailors, brings in the new ones, and gets monoslug sailors on a cat. This is a challenge to CRAM, CABB, NEMSA, CRAW, and all the other fleets represented here from the SEACATS to try something different, market the heck out of your cat regattas, involve the other fleets in your sailing clubs or areas to reciprocate help with their regattas.
I'm finishing my term as Commodore of a primarily dinghy and monohull club and I have seen the benefits of aggressive marketing and outside of the box ideas to get sailing going again. 2 weekends ago we held a regatta that 4 years ago had 49 registered boats, this year 152, this stuff works, and as I attempted to turn my club into a catamaran club(not really), I saw ideas that worked and resources used to bolster participation. This year as I have more time to devote to the cat scene I'm going to try to get our cat fleet revitalized using similar ideas, but Im looking for input on how to capture newbies and old sailors who have left the sport.

I'm open for suggestions from fleets who are thriving, and looking forward to get something going early spring. So far my idea is to have "Cat Revival Regatta" late March, early April here in Columbia SC. This would be a 4 day event with a seminar, a "green fleet", and lots of camping, good food, and comraderie.

Please share any ideas, and challenge your fleets to get cats back on the scene at your clubs and in your areas!

Last edited by dave mosley; 11/13/19 11:14 AM.

The men were amazed, and said, "What kind of a man is this, that even the winds and the sea obey Him?" Matthew 8:27