Hi Bob

I,m very interested in this class as a SC 15 owner which was mentioned as part of it along with the P-15 and others .

My post was enthusiastic and positive and related my experience in reviving an older cat very inexpensively ,
Idealy I would like my boys ages 12 9 & 7 to begin in a catamaran class w spin that we could modify and work on together .
This proposed 14-15 class sounds ideal .
The alternative is joining one of the local dingy sailing clubs to get them going ,-University of Mich ,sailing club
or Midwest Sailing Center.

This is a great Formula 14-15 class concept as John noted . There is no reason this same concept should not be applied in each length category -14s 16 18 20s

The basis for this 14-15 class as proposed, if read correctly, is a very informal fun rule outline Formula class setting basic Length beam weight sail area mast height etc .

The model it is based on is Formula class concepts as similarly started a decade ago per Formula 18 . The Formula 18 was the concept of a group of catsailors that much like the group here offered their ideas and proposed concepts and rules outline for a potential fun popular class of cat. Since these classes are based on basic boat specifications -Length beam weight sail area -mast hgt .etc in design measurement .
One big advantage they had was already being familiar with design measurement per ISAF rating which uses sail area- Length weight etc to rate boats , here was an excellent guideline of basic boat specs. and how sail area ,or weight or L etc effect speed and rating number which the understanding of logically then lead to Formula Classes like this 14-15 class now being proposed .

It seems a much more integral benificial rating system long term that helps and encourages good class racing and helps people understand the progression into similar race groups or idealy classes like this one by providing basic guidelines as to ideal max. class specs. that boats in length category may be modified to giving each nearly identical basic speed potential. Formula Class rules that encourage all boats to modify equally and race first across the win wins being the goal ,-with similar rating system guideline to help establish them .

The F-18 and A-Class being two of the best examples currently of this type of limited development class ,each length or type having there own preferred variations on the concept theme of design measurement.

In simply proposing concepts -as per similar interest in other length category , or making others aware of another optional rating system available that may be much more benificial longterm , no disrespect was ever intended towards any .

The intent is positive ,as always ,
All the best Bob

Carl

Last edited by sail6000; 02/06/04 12:03 PM.