Hi:

I do it all the time using a windsurfing mast. I originally bought one of the power poles that was sold on this site through Rick and Calvert Sails, but I did not install it because it had me mounting the universal pivot pole through the bottom of my front crossbar, and that would have compromised my tramp (making removal difficult). So, here's what I did:

1) Find a used, cracked windsurfing graphite mast. Ask around, you can usually find one for free or pay $10 for one.

2) Cut it to the correct length from the front dolphin striker to an extension of six inches past the rear cross bar.

3) The mast will be tapered, so fill the larger end with something to plug the hole, I used a superball that I epoxied into it. Drill a 1/4 " hole across the diameter about 1.5 inches from the end.

3) Install turning bullet blocks just below the crossbar on the inside lip of your port and starboard hulls.

4) Your going to have to mount tying points for some strong 1/4 line on the righting pole, so mount two eyestraps directly opposite each other in a location on the pole about 24 inches from the end. Use two stainless steel bolts to secure the eyestraps to each other going directly through the mast. These eyestrap should be directly in line with the hole you drilled at the front.

5) With a seperate line, tie the pole with a loop around the dolphin striker/mast extension. You're mounting the pole to that area so you can pivot it in any direction you want.

6) Now you have your pole secure to your boat. The next thing you want to do is add some leverage points. Starting at the port eyestrap, tie one end there.

7.) Go through the Port bullet block, then under the crossbar directly through the Starboard bullet block.

8) Go directly to the Starboard eye strap. You'll notice that you've created a huge triangle with your line. Give yourself about two feet of slack in the line and tie it there.

9) Now, you should have a pole laying on the ground secure to the bottom of the boat. Get yourself a small piece of shock cord, permanently close one end around your traveler tie-down bracket, and secure the pole to the bottom of the boat.

10) Go back to the front of the pole at the dolphin striker. Remove all the slack out of the line by gathering it, and wind it around the extension. One simple overhand should keep it in place.

It's easy to use, you can practice on dry land: When you flip the boat, stand on the inside hull and unhook the bungee cord; untie the line giving it slack; Pull down on the line through the upward block and raise the pole to about 45 degrees. Retie the line around the mast extension (this whole process takes about thirty seconds). Simply walk out on the pole, hand over hand, and your boat comes up simply.

write me at kainebob@msn.com if you want more details. I'm 170 lbs and I have no problem at all. You'll feel a lot more secure in taking out strangers or sailing yourself.

Wyatt