Rob

I am not an expert by any stretch, but the preferred method of cycling nicads is to bring them to around 1 volt because if you cycle them to zero, you risk the battery reversing which is generally considered "toasting" them.

Although having said that, you can frequently revive reversed cells by zapping them with a momentary 12 volt car battery attachment, and then recharging them normally afterwards. I have done this numerous times.

However I test them afterwards to verify they are not totalled. I test them on a loadmeter, because sometimes they will show a surface charge.

I have never actually noticed memory effects and I am not sure anyone would actually notice them except in a lab.

Having said all of this about that, nicads (1.2 volts topped off) start out after recharging having less voltage than regular batteries (1.5 volts) and they last considerably less time than regular batteries (in my experience) and the nickle metal hydride batteries that I used in my Walkman seemed to start out after a full charge with even less voltage and when in a cool environment seemed to last even less. (this will start a war of words)

That's why some electronic devices particularly ones that use a high number of cells will tell you not to use rechargeable batteries as their topped off voltage is not enough to cross the usefullness threshold.

ie. ten times 1.2 volts is only 12 whereas ten times 1.5 volts is 15.

So what I suggest is for anyone wishing to test it out, buy both batteries and test it in the the conditions (ie. temperatures) that you will be using them and you be the judge.

Cheers
Alan F

Tiger