Yes, I bought my boat from Eric Arens in Stuart. I've sailed with him several times in the St. Lucie River. Eric went back to the F-Boats. Eric and I have tested some simple modifications on our Raves in a short chop in the north fork.

Eric also used the St. Lucie to teach the owners. If you consistently saw Raves hoppin' and floppin' out there you can bet that it was Eric helping someone to get their wings and if the newbie was in a light chop he was probably a little askeered and timid with the machine. Ther are are eight basic lines to control while steering with your feet. It's a lot more complicated than a couple of sheets and a tiller extension while hanging on a wire. Yes, during that time you look pretty stupid or the boat looks like a failed design.

Eric had a marketing disagreement with the factory and gave up the franchise to the people that bought his Corsair dealership.

I didn't mean to imply that the 17' Rave would be an oceangoing vessel; only that it's deep T-foils can easily handle a chop unlike foilers with shallow foils. Even so, in 1999 a Rave easily made the trip from Key West to the Yucatan though I personally think that a little crazy. Here's his story: http://www.pan.com/folksinger/Further.htm

The Rave's big brother "SCAT" at 37' and with foils that extend to ten feet would be the one to take on the big water. I think that Nigel Irens design would have a good chance out there.

I know quite well ALL the few sailors that attempted the Miami to Key Largo Race once in a Rave. That cannot be construed as "many times" and, like my effort in the Round The Island, it's better to give the guys credit for making the attempt while knowing that they will be in an uproven boat and among much faster boats while hullborne. It's much easier to show up in a cat and know that the race will be a piece of cake, but everybody does that. Some people like more of a challenge than the same old thing.