Are we done with this F14 thing? There seems to be no further discussion so I guess everyone is happy with what little progress we've made.
I have a few questions, the answers to which, might make things a little clearer;
How many people do we now know of, who are now keen to get involved in any way at all, either as a competitor or in the administration? Should there be an F14 international council to get the process happening on an international level?
Is a Grand Prix style championship system the best way? Who would be prepared to travel nationally and/or internationally to maybe sanctioned leadup regattas and eventually a World F14 titles event? Should the larger countries run zone championships and eventually a state title event with successful participants going to the nationals and on to the F14 worlds? What sort of competition do you people want i.e. Olympic long course, short course, mixed?
Should these events be fully funded by the participants or is there any interest in organising local or national government funding? What about sponsorship? Do any 14ft sailors presently have sponsors? Do your class rules allow for sponsor advertising on sails at class titles?
What do the dads and mums think about having their sons and daughters competing on spectacular boats in spectacular zone, state, national and/or international competition?
Should a 14ftr be the next Olympic class catamaran to facilitate participation of younger sailors at Olympic level on a catamaran (the fastest, most spectacular 14ft sailboats in the world)?
If it could be done, (and I believe it can) would 14ft sailors like to have their sport given television coverage similar to other sports?
Should the F14ft rules provide for existing one design class cats to be competitive? What interest is there in a development class in 14ft catamarans?
How much money would you be prepared to pay for a very fast, top quality, hi tech, F14-14ft cat?
In short, is there sufficient interest to justify a serious effort to get this thing off the ground at international level?
Would it be possible for the people on this forum to canvas their local fleet sailors to get some understanding of the enthusiasm fort the concept of F14?
Would you like me to prepare a flyer outlining the possibilities and attributes of an F14 class for distribution among possible contenders or would printing this post be sufficient?
Over to you.
Bern Leslie