Now's the time to pull out the boats and make a showing. Here in the States, that'll happen next month at the Spring Fever Regatta - we have a host that is very obligingly scoring any boat that fits the box rule head to head. There will need to be more events that accept the F-14s and the turnout to merit the attention before I think we'll see a bunch of new ones out. International?? Olympics?? Let's finish building the cart before we hitch up the horse. I'm just hoping the people that own the boats already will get out and sail them.

For my part, I sailed in the open class of the Performance Midwinters here in Pensacola yesterday and today. I was greatful that the host provided open class sailing so that I could participate. I own the boat that fits me and it was great to feel welcome. My inexperience showed and I didn't string together the finishes I needed to place better than 15th overall in a fleet of 27 after six races, but I had a 5th and a 6th to show for my better moments along with a pair of DFLs for when I came unglued. I was the only "small" boat there - there were some I-17s, some F-18s, and everyone else was a 20-footer. One start for everyone, so I got crushed on the line, but had a nice, wide open course after all the big boys got out of my way, and top sailors as wind-indicators!

Only a month until Spring Fever - that'll be the first test for the F-14 class here. I don't expect more than 10 F-14s, most of which will be Mysteres, but I think it's a great beginning. There were a lot of folks this weekend that said my boat looked like fun as they all watched me heated up with the 'chute for down wind finishes - just have to get more than one or two to show up consistently like they do in Ohio to keep building the interest.

If it works in practice, more will show up. Wish we had your boat here, Bern. One more boat currently represents a significant percentage of the fleet!

John Williams

- The harder you practice, the luckier you get -
Gary Player, pro golfer

After watching Lionel Messi play, I realize I need to sail harder.