Well, maybe the European sports press is sexist. In these around-the-world races, only one boat is in the lead, and all the others are "behind." So why should an all-woman boat be judged any more critically for being behind than an all-male boat?

And as far as cruising couples/families, the woman on the boat normally is perfectly capable of helming, as, indeed, are the children. That is a different thing entirely from being the "skipper" or "captain." Every boat needs one person designated as the person in command for making decisions, but that has nothing to do with the sailing abilities and tasks of the other people on the boat. Even in racing situations, oftentimes the "skipper" is not on the helm.

My husband and I have done a lot of cruising and done a number of boat deliveries, and we have always alternated watches and time on the helm. But he was always considered the skipper as far as decisionmaking. And that is as it should be -- why should I take the blame if we run aground? Let him take the responsibility.