Hey guys, kinda bringing this post over from the Hobie forums here because the response rate over there is pretty slow sometimes...

I know some of you guys step the mast solo, so how do you do it? Over at the other forum we worked out something along these lines:

1) Attach trap wires to front pylons to control side-to-side motion
2) Attach rope to jib halyard shackle (raised to mast tang)
3) Run said rope through pulley on trailer mast support and then back through the jib sheet cam cleat to the back of the boat.
4) Attach mast base to step
5) Standing behind the boat, raise the mast as high as possible, then pull the rope tight in the cleat.
6) Run around to front of boat and pull mast the rest of the way up and attach forestay to bridle.

I tried this yesterday but it broke down at (5) because I couldn't get the mast up high enough for there to be a sufficient pulley-rope-mast angle to hold it up. The mast would just settle back down on the tramp while pulling the rope with it and thus dragging the boat forward on the trailer.

So... WHAT DO YOU GUYS DO? LOL I'm moving away from my sailing buddy in 3 weeks ( ) and I'll have to do this solo eventually if I want to sail at all (or until I find a new buddy.) I'd like to get the technique down while I still have him to spot me.

(For that matter, I couldn't do step 4 by myself either; needed my buddy. So techniques for that would be appreciated too!)

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Warm regards,

Jim
--------------------
H16
Hull #3404
Sail #3403
(My dad's old boat. )

Warm regards, Jim