>>I'm talking uni rigged--sloop may be a different story

Yes good point.

Can you give me some more details.

Were you running with the standard Goodall main or the Ashby F16 main. (The Ashby is the full sized F16 mainsail right?)

can you give a rough estimate on what you are losing upwind in either boatlengths, seconds or whatever you think is the best unit of measure ?

>>as you know the Taipan has a big jib and a lot more power upwind with it.

True, the comment is that the uni-rigged Taipan is slightly slower upwind unless the course is short or is run in sub double trapezing conditions. With increasing winds it loses a bit when the doublehander can double trap upwind.

what were the winds you were sailing in ?

>>Mind you, I have kept with Tigers upwind sailing sloop with crew.

Okay, thanks

>>But there's no question that sailing F16 UNI I'm losing the Tigers upwind and hanging with them downwind. This may also be due to sailing skill--there's a lot of area for improvement in my technique.

One thing I hear from many Taipan sailors is that the boat doesn't really wants to go, when sailig carigged, with the main traveller centred ? Are you sailing upwind with the main traveller about 32 to 4 inches of centre ? The goodall main like to be oversheeted in addition as well. Kirt Simmons showed me that at Springfever 2002 and it did really make the boat point a couple of degrees higher. I would never oversheet the main on any other boat but it did work on the Taipan with the Goodall main when the maintraveller was off centre.

>>>A note on the rating--the Hobie 20s and Nacra 5.8s are gettin irritated when we cross the line even with or ahead of them and then they owe us time...

Ehh, what are they on about you're sailing a 16 footer while do 20's ??!!. Ganging up on the little guy ! (joke)

>>This weekend, a H20 sailor asked ME how much time I owed him. I guess the honeymoon is over.

Well, your standard reply should be. We requested a lower rating as a class but didn't get it; if he wants the rating to be more fair then he better make sure that the RC sends in the result to US sailing and Darlene Hobock.

With this our rating will drop as Jennifer is doing her thing on the east coast as well. At some time the rating must come down. Till that time enjoy the peachy rating we got.

Wouter

Wouter Hijink
Formula 16 NED 243 (one-off; homebuild)
The Netherlands