>>Meetpunt's: Why would they be outside the area of the sail?
<br>
<br>To provide easy measurements on rounded sails and because when you use firmly fixed nails you can tension the measuring tape and get truelly accurate results. Not really that important for your approximate measurement. Just make sure you use teh same spot as a reference point.
<br>
<br>
<br>>>I was assuming I would use the Head tack and clew corners as my meetpunts.
<br>
<br>By all measn use them as Measurementpoints (literally translated meetpunt) , the math will ensure that you will arrive at the sail area.
<br>
<br>>So I don't understand the picture that has the meetpunt outside a rounded corner. Of course I don't have any rounded corners on my sail.
<br>
<br>Actually the math is such that it doesn't really matter much where the meetpunt is. Just place it where is convenient in measureing. Don't forget to substract the little triangles that fall outside the sail.
<br>
<br>
<br>>>Second question: Is the point where S7 and S8 meet always at the end of the first batten? And is the point where S4 and S6 meet always at the end of the second batten? Or do you try to move these points to try to make it look more like the picture?
<br>
<br>
<br>No I would just the general ratios. the lines drawndevide the sail in 1/5 part realtive to luff length. I would take the batten end approximated by these devisions. As long as it roughly looks like in the picture you do alright the math will take care of most differences in measuring.
<br>
<br>>>Would I use a big old square to try to get the H1, H2, H3, and H4? What are the tools commonly used by the pros to measure these sails. Just give me a rundown on the toolkit that would be helpful.
<br>
<br>
<br>I'm not a measurer myself but that is what I would do. For a full breakdown of the toolbox mail to geert Ruesink he is a Texel official : g.ruesink@hccnet.nl or Nico Boon himself at Nboon@hetnet.nl
<br>
<br>They are both Texel officials and were very helpful to me.
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>Good luck,
<br>
<br>Wouter
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br><br><br>