Before every one starts ripping the factory/dealer consider

The Dealers Chip Zenke and Mark Michalson take huge poundings on this board... (but still keep posting) Others don't participate at all. Sail boat racing requires three things.. Dealers and sponsors, Sailors to participate and Clubs to put on the events. With out all three working together long term health is problematic. For instance, With out a dealer at the racing ... who will hold the hand of a new sailor... who does a new sailor look up in the phone book to enquire about buying a cat... CRAC does not list its phone number... We are very happy to hand these folks to a dealer who can help them out. (Sadly, I would not send my dog to the local Hobie dealer though) If you don't support your local dealer... you wind up in a zero sum game...It is very hard to get new members joining the party.

Why are dealers involved in putting formulae 18 together... Well I certainly did not see any other individual leading the program. If not the dealers... who was going to get something organized. From their point of view.. . they note that the last 18 foot boat to have real success in the US was the Hobie 18.... They see lots of potential problems and no one standing there and working out rules and meeting the concerns of all parties.

Remember, the euro F18 rules has been around a long time as have the I18 and Tiger.... how come it has never taken off on its own...? You can't blame dealers and builders here. I think the initial post was correct... without some organization... you would have the same old ... same old result. I don't think you can blame the dealer here.

I have several friends considering F18's... they don't want to step up and run a local fleet much less a national class.. they do want to sail. Each year fleets go through the OK... who is gonna be commodore, Creating a new class structure in the US will be hard.... Look at Nigel's experience just trying to make Hobie .. Open friendly! The A class fleet is growing, the sailors love the boat. AND builders and dealers have supported their growth (Bim and Boyer ) They have members who are growing the class. Note how vocal they are in addressing misconceptions and bashes.

There is plenty of room for debate and input... until you are volunteering to run the class, generate a buzz, create some public relations I would not throw too many stones.

(My interest is in the Formula 20 class and Portsmouth) ... I sail a Tornado... It probably won't work out that I will fit into the formula. rule... I applaud Carl and the other proponents for working through many of the issues.. its not a trivial issue.)

Happy thanksgiving.
Mark

<br><br>

Attached Files
4097- (265 downloads)

crac.sailregattas.com