Let me react to this post, also because as the founder of the other formula class I do know what I'm talking about.
<br>
<br>
<br>>>What I have heard is the following talking points.
<br>
<br>>>The factories do not believe that "the formula class will generate measurer's to measure and sticker all sails"
<br>
<br>If so how do One-design classes get checked. How do they prevent me from recutting my manufacturer sails and beat everybody else. And i wouldn't be the first time that manufacturer sails show "some" variance. Point, this is not a pure formula related issue also one-design classes are faced with this. This is just a prefix to retain spin off profits.
<br>
<br>
<br>>>Second, there is such a small market in the US...they would like to protect their local dealers to some degree so that they make a buck or two.
<br>
<br>How do formula classes threaten dealors ? In fact the formula classes saved the dealors in EU. PC EU importer was almost bankrupt, the I-18 and I-20 saved it big time. And how does splitting you race scene in even smaller one-design classes save the already dangeriously small US cat scene. Formula createda big market in EU, wouldn't US do well with that ?
<br>
<br>
<br>>>Third... They feel a huge group of prospective sailors equates one design with economical sailing. They feel the market for new boat sales will be small unless they can assure the guy of some cost control... therefore they would like to write in factory authorized sails and equipment.
<br>
<br>Obviously they missed the fact that H16 selling price is equal or higher than that of several A-cat brands. F16 designs, with goodies as carbon masts and genakers are offered for the same price. As far as I know N6.0 prices are comparable to I-20. How many time have sailors compliant about costly manufacturer sails of questional quality and shape ? I personally consider this a unfounded argument.
<br>
<br>
<br>>> They point to the Prindle 19 class where rapid sail changes in chutes and main sails pissed a lot of sailors off... ergo.. it was a money game.
<br>
<br>Well, and I'm now getting frustrated here because obviously hardly anyone reads the formula rules properly or understands them. Under formula we're not talking about sail CHANGES ! but just freedom to buy sails of the same area at independend sailmakers. Maybe I should remind you that PC sails are all build by Peter Vink and than sold through PC dealors, why not buy THE SAME sail directly from Vink ? And how does this contribute to sail SWITCHES ?
<br>
<br>>>if they allow any equipment to be used... the boat weights will have to be determined
<br>
<br>
<br>Well, always better than buying a One-design in the wrong year and taking a builders word for it that it is indeed on the minimum weight. And I really think you all make to much out of these really minor points. None of these are heavy enough agianst the formula concept, the are used to strengthen a pre determined goal.
<br>
<br>
<br>>>Finally, the US mentality is One design... pretty much defined by Hobie. They want rules that make a one design nationals identical to what they now run.
<br>
<br>So and Hobie has one-design race in EU too with their Formula boat. Hobie EU thinks Formula AND One-design. US builders seem unable to notice the "AND"
<br>
<br>
<br>>>Finally my own opinion.... What will Hobie fleets do with a formula 18 class. I suspect they will race formula untill they get enough tigers for a one design fleet. None of the Tiger sailors have responded to my question on the open board... What happens when 5 tigers show up with 5 F18's... is there a formula race or two one design races. Since they run many of the regattas this is a crucial issue.
<br>
<br>
<br>Well, ultimately it is up to the sailor themselfs. If they don't want formula than just pack it inand forget about it. However in no way is this decision the decision of the builders.
<br>
<br>Wouter<br><br>

Attached Files
4105- (253 downloads)

Wouter Hijink
Formula 16 NED 243 (one-off; homebuild)
The Netherlands