So... I'm still working on my F14 design and have had a good number of comments regarding hull rocker. When I look at F18s (Taipan, Nacra & AHCP especially) I see a boat with almost no rocker forward of the mast, and a rather lot of rocker going aft.

So... I drew a boat like that and recieved a lot of comments about how much drag it would create, and why was my rocker so far aft? (I drew the rocker rather centered under the mast beam, but with 6" of rocker aft and 3" of rocker forward).

So I looked at some other designs that seem to be doing well (F16 Mosquito), and at a recent drawing that was sent to me. The rocker was centered just forward of the mast, giving long straight lines aft that should "give a fast, clean path for the water". It also gives the bottom of the boat more of a foil-looking shape, and puts the greatest draft just ahead of the mast that would help reduce it's tendency to pitchpole.

So now I'm rather confused! I'm half tempted to build a starboard hull with aft rocker and a port hull with fore rocker and see which tack it sails best on! 'Cept I don't have a whole lot of time and money to expiriment with, and would rather get it "right" (at least mostly right) the first time.

G-Cat 5.7M #583 (sail # currently 100) in Bradenton, FL Hobie 14T