...In Europe the F-18 scene is a powerful force and they all like to see the development of the class. My impression is that this will slowly get out of control, as professionals get involved in the class and begin buying their victories with exotic sails and materials...

Doug Skidmore
President, Hobie Cat USA

Who is Doug Skidmore ? And can Hobie Corp USA please make up its mind ?

Everytime around Texel and the F18 worlds we can see the various who is who like mr Miller posting overjoyed that the Hobie Tiger, afterall all those years since 1994, is still at the top of it game while only months later we are subjected to warnings how that the same F18 class will get out of control and blow up.

F18 has been around since the early 90's, professional sailors (80 % of them are on Hobies payroll) have been in the class since 1998. The class is still around and booming all over the place and the only organisation/persons that are BUYING victories is/are ?

The Hobie Cat Corporation ! (do I really need to name all top sailors on Hobie's payroll ?)

And even then, at best, their hold on victories is strenious as Boulogne's win on Cirrus F18 in 2003 and Taipan F18 Texel win in 1999 show. I think the current Dutch champion sails a Nacra F18. I can look up more race results when needed.

I think it to be a very sad day when a big company like Hobie needs to scare customers to their products. "Buy a Tiger else you loose out in F18 !" ; "Buy a OD Hobie else go down with the demise of the Open/formula classes when they implode" ; "Buy a Hobie or you won't be able to race when we ban all non-hobies from local events!"

A very sad day indeed !

And then to put insult to injury we have Hobie corp screeming at the top of their longs in "cat sailing in trouble" thread that everything is just dandy and that their products are saving the day. Man ! I have not even seen a getaway, twixxy, doddy, daddy or whatever those rubber boats they offer are called, ANYWHERE in Europe except 1 time. And that was a Hobie wave for sale as a secondhander at the Hobie dealor. So, how do we grow cat sailing on those boats when none will ever come out to events and mix it up with the rest of us. (Sorry Rick, I fully understand the exceptional work you do with the waves in the USA, but you are very much alone I fear).

What a load of BS some of these guys peddle about. And yes you can take me to court on that statement. I'll make you blush all over your face with some hard evidence you won't see in the Hobie way of life monthlies.

If I were mr Skidmore I would think long and hard WHY Cat sailing in Europe is BIG (and so much bigger than in the USA) and why European open class events dwarf all others including Hobie events. (Don't make me quote participation data on Europen Hobie events.)

And than lets have him say one more time that : "The end is NEAR ! and we're all gonna die if we don't repent !".

Been hearing that one since the early 90's out of the mouths of the various European old Hobie gits ! You would think that after 15 years of being wrong they would get it.

So again. Who exactly is Doug Skidmore ?

Wouter

P.S. got my flame suit on and a water hoose ready to fire, so make my day Hobie's !

Last edited by Wouter; 01/05/05 05:56 PM.

Wouter Hijink
Formula 16 NED 243 (one-off; homebuild)
The Netherlands