When looking at the rating systems we see

Texel F18 = 102 , A-cat = 100 , F16 (2-up) = 102 , F16 (1-up) = 101
ISAF goes down the same as Texel

VYC F18 = 70.00, A-cat = 71.00, F16 (2-up) = still waiting F16 (1-up) = still waiting

So I say there is thrightingly little difference between the ratings for the A's and the F18's. If F16 in either mode is comparable to both then we can just as well race in mixed F16 fleets.

Also we know how the Taipan cat-rig and Taipan sloop measured up against each other on the water. So when we drafted the F16 rules we moved some sailarea from the jib to the mainsail thus closing the gap that existed between the cat-rigged version and the sloop version. We also added some extra width. This closed the gap to the F18's and A-cats respectively.

From the data we have now it appears that these actions had the desired effect. When sailed by equal skilled crews the 2-up and 1-up version appear to be very comparable around the course.

I would like to make one point though. I never understood the hassle that is made over having all the water to yourself as a class or even as a configuration (2-up vs 1-up). The more boats you race the greater the fun. What is the point of splitting a fleet in 2 different starts ? Especially if a fleet is small. Why not start everybody together, race them all together and regard boats getting in the way as an extra obstacle that will discriminated the better sailors from the weaker ones. In the end all crews are faced with the same situation. The smart ones know when duck or tack away. Compare it too a marathon on tarmac and a marathon cross country. But are races and all must negociated the additional obstacles in the latter the best. How is this unfair ? Or even less enjoyable.

I say throw them in together and have everybody race everybody. In case of the F16 the performance difference between both looks to be to small to be significant.

Ohh before I forget. We do this sport for spare time enjoyment, we're not racing for sheep stations.

At least in NL we will group both modes together and the first over the line wins the bragging rights AND free beer over the BBQ afterwards. Will give us something to talk about over dinner !

Wouter

Last edited by Wouter; 02/16/05 08:03 PM.

Wouter Hijink
Formula 16 NED 243 (one-off; homebuild)
The Netherlands