Math doesn't work.
Regatta attendance is on the rise.
I think if anything, we have finally found some common ground for those of us who have raced open class for years.
Catracing grew from One design in the Form of the Hobie 16's, has spun aimlessly in circles sometimes as the choices for the Racer have been too plentiful to allow a smart guy to select the next boat that will happen to be the class that catches on. Pity poor Steve Cooley who is so Dedicated to the Hobie 18 Class that he only found AFTER he bought a brand new one that Hobie wasn't going to be manufacturing them anymore. Love the Guy, He loves his H-18.
Obviously his Committment to the 18 is bigger than that of Hobiecat at this point.
(Don't Get me started, & I just bought another one) Wish it were a NACRA!
I think as racers, we'd all be better off if there were fewer models available, as a consumer picking a boat for himself or his family more choices means a greater chance of purchasing a boat fitted to your needs. I Don't think there's any problem at all with developing a line of boats that will be for the hi-tech racers and lower tech versions of the same which can just be funsailors. Portsmouth Racng doesn't chase anyone off it just creates a option for trying to level the playing field for those who don't show up with enough boats for a class that day. We'll have more than a few days like that this year, Sailing against an old Ace on his Super20 and a Mystere 6.0 with a hooter. We'll sail heads up and congratulate the winner just like one-design, IT will be a great Day for all of us.
CARY
PS: I think the old boats live with the old cars. Whaddya wanna do stop production? What would we do when all the old boats wore out and we all had to go to Cuba for our antique Chevy & Nacra Parts?

CARY
ACAT XJ Special
C&C 24