Gary,
I think you misinterpreted the intent of my last message - No disrespect to anyone who dares to sail to a piece of land further than that which they can see from their home shore !
As you say, real world experience sailing in the open ocean in difficult seas will obviously limit your average speed potential. Just as real world flatwater sailing in good winds will raise that potential. My original question was just put out there to ask if anyone has experiences which contest the theory that the fastest beach-cat recorded speed could possibly be around 23knots, as I`ve seen this speed averaged over a 24nm race. No GPS required, the proof is in the total distance covered and the elapsed time. What`s more is that the wind was probably no more than 18knots at any time in that race.
I`m not asking for absolute proof, we`re having an informal discussion, and I don`t think anyone is going to submit the results to the WSSRC for ratification.
Once again, no disrespect intended. My little joke about you losing the 100lbs of gear and one 200lb men was just that, a joke. It would most certainly not have improved your speed in that crossing, unless the wind was 12knots and the water was flat (ironically you might have posted a better average speed in these conditions.) Catamarans tend to get slower, the faster they go !!

Steve