Thanks guys, I thought I had read somewhere that the lengths had been changed throughout the years and I initially believed this to be the case by using a new forestay with existing shrouds, however, the old and newly purchased forestay are the same lengths(measured 'em).

So, the shrouds did tighten once I tightened the jib halyard and let the forestay go loose. But with the shrouds already in the lowest hole on the adjusters I cannot tighten them any further and thus the boat seems to be stuck in a loose rig. I haven't done this since I was ten or eleven with my father's 16. I sailed an 18 that was raise and go for a few years and i'm learning all over again by trial-and-error.

I just stepped the mast solo to follow the advice and now having thought about it i'm thinking that if I set the shrouds in the first hole in the adjuster before raising the mast and then tighten the jib halyard once raised, I will gain the ability to then retighten the shrouds by pulling on trap wires. I will eventually try this but thought i'd reply to make sure i'm right.

p.s. Jack you're more than welcome to skip the wedding and go sail on Lake Hickory.

83' Hobie 16