Having both 1980 SC20 and ARC22 I can say the 22 is a much better boat in some ways. If you're used to being wet the 22 has much less spray. Its the same hull but 2 ft longer. If you have heavy air then the 22 is alot more work. The tall rig is an absolute beast here in Dallas when the winds are up. It doesn't like the sudden gusts we have here. Mine has a self taking jib which works pretty well. If you like to race you had better be someplace that has some of these boats. PCola or south Florida. Here I was told if you don't sail a Hobie you will be sailing by yourself... The expense factor speaks for itself. Most ARC 22 are painted which is a problem unless you buy some padded carpet to beach on. The beaches here are gravel/rock with mud. When I have a crew they usually have to walk the boat to the beach. When I don't have a crew the boat sits on the trailer which is most of te time around here. If you don't park your trailer on the carpet someone will take it... AT least mine has gone missing several times. Rating wise the SC20 is a rating beater while the 22 has to spot almost every boat. The 22 beams are solid as well as the spin/forward tramp setup require a longer setup/take down time than the telescoping SC20. I have a dry stall about 100 yards from the water so the 22 stays assembled mast up storage most of the year. Construction wise both boats are pretty good. I recently sanded down the hulls of my SC20 and found the boat to be stiff and sound but the painter did a terrible job that two professional painters suggested I start over and sand down to the glass. Both hulls weighed about the same with the gel coat off.

hope this helps,

thom