There are many factors that make a beachcat fast! The most important [IMHO] is crew execution, sails available and their R&D that was put into them and the built in abilities [hull design, dagger vs center, carbon mast with or with out rotater, self tacking jib, etc. that the boats designer put into the boat. And finally the crew weight/bouancy factor in as well. You can go to any major regatta and see the latest hot boat finishing in the middle due to anyone of these factors.

For example when I bought my Tornados from Sail Craft in 1973 I thought I was fast until I saw Reg White [British Gold Medalist]sail a T about 100lbs heavier right past me. I caught a severe cold from him blowing my doors offffff...

Another example is the SC20TR Roberts sails. Is that boat that much faster or is Roberts that good a sailor. I think its the latter.

Its takes competition to reach a boats full potential. If you sail mixed classes the fastest design boats mistakes are exponential to that of the slow boats because the ratings don't take everything [sailor/crew skill, crew weight, etc.]into account mainly because there isn't an absolutely accurate way to do that.

Basically fast guys will make any boat go well.

thom
F25c 009
ARC22 2234
FMS 20 57