It all depends on what the hull number is. If its below 84 you probably have a bullet proof boat made by the original Roberts/Edmunds crew. These boats weighed within about 1/2 lb of each other with 25lbs of gelcoat on each hull. After the sale the quality control was out of Roberts hands and some hulls weighed much more than the other. When Haberman took over the quality came back. I sanded down my #57 to the glass. There were no soft spots/delamination or any other problems. I know a guy with a 1984 Sc20Tr which has both as you mentioned.

Its just a matter of intent of who is building the boat. I believe to this day some of the original guys would have never let one out the door that wasn't almost perfect.

I bought a SolCat 18 that didn't survive the first sail. Soft spots, loose daggerboat construction, caused the boat to literally sink to below the surface. The shop I bought it from gave me a new boat [see pic] that I sailed until I bought my Tornado US498.

The SC boats were designed to survive the Atlantic Ocean not just a bay or lake. I have had two of the original SC20s that were true strong boats that went through the surf and waves as well as any boat I have had. I know my ARC22 won't take what my SC20 will because its designed for light air while the SC20 is designed for it all...

thom