I learned a valuable lesson the time I took three rather heavy friends on a rental H16 at a popular beach in SC.

With heavy winds the owners were reluctant to let me sail, but I assured them that I was experienced and knew exactly what I was doing. After a brief do this and don't do that, the four of us were off.

The first 15 seconds were a blast. We took off into the Atlantic at an incredible rate and not even 50 yards out and at probably 20 knots the bow submerges and we pitchpole. I watched my three beer-bellied friends slide into water while taking out the jib cleats and the jib sail. I landed on the main and after gathering the wounded and shouting orders to right the boat we were just then greeted by a jetski coming to rescue. One friend decides this is the best way back so he hops on the back of the jetski while we right the boat. It was not that big of a deal until we righted the boat and discovered the damage. The mainsail was ripped straight through from my plunge into the water. The jib was flapping along with the cleats that were once attached to the boat and my friends seemed to be in shock. After making it back to shore the rental place tries to charge me for the damages. It looked like his boat had been in a hurricane. After arguing to no avail and finally agreeing to pay, the credit card machine wouldn't work and he asked if I'd come back tomorrow.

Ha. Ofcouse I would, I said. I was 18 and didn't feel bad about lying. Lesson learned: Don't sail with three fat guys in heavy wind.

83' Hobie 16